Home remedies for acidity problem are discussed here in this article. The fire like feeling in stomach is acidity. Medical science has given it name GERD that is Gastro Esophageal Reflux Disease. It indicates that digestive system is not working properly. The cause of acid reflux is due to acid which is present in our stomach touches esophagus which may result in pain, heartburn, irritation.
It happens due to our lifestyle and food we consume. Acidity is a common problem and many people suffer from such types of issues. Burning sensation really kills the mood. It may happen to any one irrespective of gender, age and time.
When you skip meals or over eat , and work for long time, and take unhealthy diet that lead to acidity. Other causes of acidity are stress, lack of sleep and side effects of medicine.
Symptoms of acidity
- Difficulty in chasing food
- Burning sensation in throat, stomach and heart.
- Bitterness in mouth
- Bad breath
Such symptoms lead to complications such as:
- Pain in Chest
Top 15 Home Remedies to get relief from Acidity Problem
Some home remedies are mentioned to get relief from acidity and helps aid digestion:
- Lemon juice : A tea spoon of lemon juice with sugar or honey pour into a half cup of lukewarm water can cure a lot of problems and diseases within short span of time.
- Coconut water : It is a great option for people suffering the problem of acid reflux. It is natural and magical ingredient which have multiple benefits. As soon as you wake up drink a glass of coconut water which gives you energy and glow on your face. It makes pH balance to control acid reflux. Coconut Water is helpful in maintaining stomach acid normal and found as a good source of potassium which is vital for our body. It contains high fibre which helps to prevent indigestion.
- Juice : Aloe Vera juice, carrot juice, beer juice have amazing capability to reduce acidity problem. Daily half glass of aloe Vera juice will provide you multiple benefits. Juices are amazing in taste and you can add some dry fruits to make it more delicious.
- Milk : It is rich in protein and calcium. A glass of cold milk without sugar helps to prevent acid formation. It neutralise acid. Make it in habit to drink 1 glass in morning and a glass before going to bed at night.
- Basil leaves : Basil leaves are always used in Ayurvedic medicine. It naturally cures burning sensations and reduce gastric formation in your stomach. You need to take 2-3 leaves and chew it or boil it in a cup of water and add 4-5 leaves. Let it get cool and have it.
- Fruits : Apart from oranges, pineapple and grapes, other fruits like apple, banana, pears melons contains antacid that reduce the symptoms of acid. Specially apple and banana helps to keep acidity at bay. Fresh fruits are good for our health. Apple is considered for good eye vision. Fruits salads should be added in your diet for everyday.
- Drink Water : In order to stay hydrated drinking water is essential. It will provide relief and increase the pH of stomach. Drink 7-8 litres of water everyday. A glass of water is needed before taking your meal. It is vital because it makes mucosal lining that protects from its acid.
- Baking Soda : It is a good substance for acidity. It neutralises burning sensation. A table spoon of baking soda with half of the cup of water is enough to get relief.
- ENO works in 6 seconds : There so many exciting flavours ( lemon flavour, orange flavour, cool lemon flavour, etc) are available in the market. Take one pouch with half cup of water when acidity strike. It neutralises excess of acid present in stomach.
- Yogurt : It is a good home remedy to ease the problem of acidity. Yogurts contains probiotics which balance the immune system. You must add yogurt in your daily diet.
- Green vegetables : As you know the fact that vegetables contains low fat and sugar. Stomach acid is reduced when we eat vegetables like cucumbers, potatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, beans, lady finger, ginger, etc. Grated or sliced of ginger added in any cooking process or recipe is required to ease the symptoms of gastrointestinal.
- Ice cream : A scoop of ice cream after meal is enough to reduce the burning sensation. Many people love ice cream, cool cool ice cream reduce the sensation of burning.
- Oatmeal : It is a good source of fiber and a type of grain, which we can have for breakfast. It absorb acid present in stomach and give relief from reflux.
- Rice : Many people frequently eat rice that contains fiber and helpful in reducing acid burning.
- Herbs : Herbs such as ajwain, jeera, cumin seed fennel seed and mint leaves are used for home remedies for acidity and are antidotes. They includes minerals, fiber and vitamins and helps in better digestion.
10 Things you should avoid to control acid reflux
- Consumption of alcohol aggravated the problem of acidity. It is also prohibited in many countries.
- Spicy food should be avoided when you are feeling burning in throat and stomach.
- Non veg food does not get digested easily which may result in many diseases like acidity.
- Fried potatoes should be avoided.
- Don’t eat late at night because it won’t get digested properly.
- Excessively drinking of Coffee and tea is not recommended for the people with acid reflux. Such beverages contains caffeine that should be avoided.
- Don’t sleep or lay down just after eating. This may result in increase in obesity. Then you will suffer the problem of acidity on regular basis.
- Avoid fatty meals because they may aggravate the problem of acidity.
- Do not smoke. This may lead to acidity problem and cancer. And it will infect or damage your liver also.
- Skip curd in the night time.
10 Things you should do and make it in your habit to get relief from acidity problem
- Loosen your belt if you are experiencing discomfort or reflux.
- After taking your meal chew a gum stick in order to increase saliva and will help you in reducing acidity.
- Reduce your weight if you usually suffer the problem of reflux. Do some exercise will eventually help you in loosing fat.
- Take a spoon of honey with lukewarm water in the morning will help you to reduce weight and feel your stomach better.
- Ginger is a good source of boosting energy and immunity. Drink a cup of ginger tea to cure acid reflux.
- Eat jaggery after your meal will help you to repress gas formation.
- Buttermilk is good in taste and a glass of chilled buttermilk reduce acidity symptoms.
- Amla (gooseberry) is often prescribed by Ayurvedic. It has numerous benefits like good for hair, eyes, and stomach. A spoon of amla powder helps to prevent acidity.
- Daily take 3-4 almonds to alleviate acidity.
- Cinnamon is used in vegetables to make it delicious which also helps to control cholesterol and improves digestion.
- Take vegetable or fruit raita in your lunch.
- Make your healthy diet plan. What to eat and when to eat.